Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Monday September 20, Raft Day




Raft day, raft day. We awoke early, had a yummy breakfast, after some more debating rented a jacket, and it was debriefing time. We signed are life away, Vinnie was the safety check girl, and it was put in time right at the release of the dam into a class III. The most impressive thing besides the dam was a man in his sixties who was paralyzed in both legs rafting in our group, crazy.

Raft time, raft time, raft time. White water rafting is a dangerous sport and the guides really are the lowest paid professional athletes. Not only are they steering and commanding, but reading the water as well. I would not want the responsibility of being a guide, nor the pay. With that being said I was stoked to be with the 2009 Gauley Raft Guide of the year on such a dangerous river and with such big men in the raft. Not anyone could have handled it. Our raft did pretty damn good through the class IV and V rapids and when the water calmed a bit we had some more fun. I can now say I have flipped a raft while white water rafting. Although not the goal, and our guide cannot admit it, we think it happened on purpose. Good thing we could all swim.

After a great raft trip, which ended much sooner than I thought, we had some down time. Showers were taken, drinks made, and the video watched. I was not feeling well from a cold and could have slept but it didn’t seem to be an option. It was too early and there would be a band later that night.

After some more debating and a little boredom we went to be social. Monday night on the Gauley is like Friday night for everyone else. They don’t have to guide Tuesday’s so they can have a good time. If I was feeling better it would have been a great time to mingle with some colorful characters all within the safety of our rafting community campus. However, I did the best I could. I met some nice people, some fun people, part of the Minnesota National Guard, got some West Virginia moonshine, and finally a smore. All in a day’s work of a gypsy, which is what I was called. And when talking to the captain his response to my life is that he felt like he was watching a movie. I took that as a compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment