Wednesday, September 8, 2010

August 25, 2010, Where is the road trip luck?




Yesterday in Maryland didn’t work out so well in terms of tour times so I thought I would try my luck in New Jersey.

The day did not begin well. At the visitor center outside of Atlantic City I was informed the annual air show was being held. This would not have been a bad thing except that parking which was usually 5 dollars or ten dollars was around 25. After half an hour of driving the strip looking for parking I was going to give up when I saw it, the beautiful side street with a few parking meters. For only a few quarters I was able to walk on the boardwalk, go to a small museum, and see a few planes. The place was crowded and people watching great. Such a diverse place. It was also nice to see all the retired service people out for the show.

My next stop was the “Historic Towne of Smithville.” Smithville is not in my GPS and after awhile of playing in a parking lot I made a phone call and was on my way. It was nice to be on back roads in NJ. There doesn’t seem to be much going on and I was surprised by all the protected land. Who knew there was more to New Jersey then the cities.

So Smithville isn’t a real town. It’s a great shopping and eating area and really beautiful but I didn’t exactly get it. Is it historic?

Traveling on more back roads in New Jersey I made my way to Historic Whitesbog Village. This farm and village had something to do with blueberry farming in either New Jersey or the United States. Unfortunately the store was not open because it was not the weekend so I could not learn anything. All of their roads were open and you could explore and go offroading. With no map I didn’t venture too far but it was fun and random.

After more back roads I was on the highway headed to Northlandz to see some trains. I chose not to stop and the Grounds for Sculpture and by the time I arrived to Northlandz it was too late. The place closes at 4 and that’s when I got there. It takes about two hours to see 8 miles of toy train tracks and trains so it will have to be saved for another day. Big, big, bummer of a day.

The day ended very well. I made it through New Jersey and New York without too much traffic or missing any turns (thanks to another traveler) and arrived home in great time. I received a very nice welcome from mom and dad and had a yummy dinner. YAYYYYYY

Thoughts from the day:

So weird having someone pump your gas for you. Are you supposed to tip them?

New Jersey LOVES Dunkin Doughnuts. They are everywhere.

Why are there so many helicopters in New Jersey? I mean lots and lots, and it’s a small state. Very strange.

Random resort / golf course in Egg Harbor called Seaview. That was pretty.

I haven’t seen anyone have one leg rolled up on their sweatpants in awhile.

I am sorry I make fun of the Midwest and West for their God billboards. I saw one in CT on my way home.

People in CT drive WAY TOO FAST on 84 between Waterbury and Hartford, like unsafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment