Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Back to NY: Rain, Traveling, Dyker Heights, Subway down, Applebee’s, and good night


With the Smithsonian and fee museums like the Crime and Punishment Museum there is always tons to do in DC. Not to mention the cultural events and people to see. However I had to get back to NY for some evening plans. In the rain I made my way to the bus stop and said goodbye to my amazing host Alicia and DC.

The bus ride went well and four hours later I was in the heart of NY. I slowly made my way to Brooklyn, filled Tes in on my time in DC as well as our friends and it was time to head out.

We hopped on the R line which we would need to get to the best Christmas lights in one neighborhood. However, we didn’t make it all the way. R line was down and other lines very backed up. We ended up getting an Italian snack and walking around 30 blocks. We finally made it to the lights and began to enjoy them. After maybe three or four blocks the rain really started to come down. Not having a car or knowing the buses, we got soaked.

We made it back to the Subway only to learn it was still at a standstill over an hour later. We then waited in the rain for a bus which only comes on the ½ hour. I felt bad the people on the bus wouldn’t smush and a few people couldn’t get on. People on the bus weren’t the nicest either. Saying, “Oh come on, they can get the next one”. The next one being in probably an hour.

How do really poor people handle this? They paid for the subway which stopped moving, then had to pay for a bus. A cab is out of the question when you have to go far. Ohhh. Sundays in the cities.

Once at our meeting location it was still raining. We tried to locate a fun or local restaurant to eat at but there was no such place in the Atlantic area. We ended up at Applebee’s in the mall where we waited for Jenny. Once warm and all together we had a good time filling each other in on our lives. I learned a lot about the KIPP schools in NY and it was great to see Jenny.

After a warm shower Tes and I played some online trivia games and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment