Tuesday, December 14, 2010

First Day in DC: Spy Museum, Outdoor Market, Postal Museum, Chinatown, Irish Bar, Christmas Tree, Silver Spring, and 127 Hours



This whole house mate / house sharing thing is very knew to me. I thought it was unique to DC. A friend pointed out that it may be common in San Francisco as well, which makes sense. After sleeping in I made my way to the International Spy Museum. Of course I want to go to one of like three museums out of 30 you have to pay for. Although not what I was expecting it was worth it. It was more informative and historical than hands on experimental which I had previously thought.

Having visited one fee museum I headed to the U.S Postal Museum. I took the long way walking as opposed to the Metro and was able to see a lot of the city. Once there I made friends with a security guard and enjoyed the museum. Although I do not understand the collection and culture of stamps I enjoyed the museum. The part of the Pony Express as well as this touch screen game were my favorite.

Not feeling well I headed back to my friends place to rest, read, and call a few other Peace Corps friends. Before I arrived I read a poster of gentrification in DC and a rally to keep the city chocolate. Very interesting. The moment I arrived in the house Hillary contacted me and I headed back out to Chinatown. We grabbed some food at an Irish pub and caught up on life. From there we explored DC and she showed me some new areas. We went down to see the Christmas Tree which I was bummed about. Online said there would be music which there was not, and several of the states trees had been blocked off due to their slow disassembling of the stage from the night before. Seeing the White House at night was cool and I enjoyed the quietness of the city.

We grabbed walked around, grabbed some frozen yogurt, and headed out to Silver Spring to watch a movie. The movie was intense and theater awesome. Hanging out with Hillary was fun and the perfect low key evening. I almost convinced her to jump down on the track, climb a fence, and hop a train, but it was too cold.

On my way back Alicia invited me to go out dancing. Any other night I would have loved to but the energy was very low. I was so thankful Alicia gave me a key and didn’t feel pressured to stay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment