Tuesday, December 14, 2010

BUSES , Baltimore, and public transportation



It was time to say goodbye to Tes but I was not sad. I knew I’d be back in a few days on my home to CT. Also, she had a job interview and was out the door with me.

I took Mega Bus to Baltimore which wasn’t the smartest idea. It stops 15minites outside of the city in the suburbs of White Marsh. Now 15 minutes is not bad if you have a car but today was my bus day and this leg of the trip was the public transportation part.

I hoped on a local bus and took the hour ride into the city. This ride made me realize how all cities in the United States are the same. Nice suburbs around it, a rundown rough area on your way in, and then the grand city emerges.

Once in downtown Baltimore I rode there free buses around to get a feel for the city. I knew I would need more time to get back to the Mega Bus due to rush hour so I did not choose to do any formal activities. There also wasn’t anything screaming to me. Baltimore seems nice and I was able to see key parts of the city by riding the purple and orange lines. It also seems like a place where it’s better to know someone and receive insider information.

After the hour and 45 commute on a crowded public bus where I heard the “N” word a few times other disturbing things I made it to the mall in White Bush. Walking across a few parking lots I finally made it to the bus stop for my bus to DC.

Once on my bus it was nice and warm. One reason Mega Bus and Bolt Bus are so cheap is that there are no stations. You wait outside in the cold. I made it to DC no problem, used their metro, read for awhile, people watched in Dupont Cirlce, then met a friend. We made it to her place, baked some cookies, and got caught up until after one in the morning, and she had to work the next day.

Moral of the story. To get to Baltimore take Bolt Bus not Mega Bus and to get from Baltimore to DC take a train.

No comments:

Post a Comment