Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I Got Stuck in a Hole




Mammoth Cave Wild Tour, Lexington, Old Frankfort Parkway, Dollar Movies, and Airport Luck

After my quick trip to Chicago I headed down to Kentucky to do some long awaited caving. I got to the airport and had some time before my friend could get to the airport. I was able to read, people watch, and fantasize about my life when I have my own private plane like the people at the Breeders Cup.

I was feeling like I caught a cold but didn’t let that slow things down. I had a good ride down to my friends, a delicious dinner with her family, and we called it an early(ish) night.

After some careful daylight savings/time change planning we made our way to Mammoth Cave, KY for the Wild Cave Tour. The three of us could not wait. After being suited up it was finally time to crawl. After years of wanting to do this tour, and failed attempts in June, it was time. We crawled for awhile, caught our breath, wiggled through an S curve and went through Bears Hole. This is where I got stuck. My little legs could not grip the gravel below me. After a few self doubting thoughts, and a little embarrassment I made it. Slowly I went side to side, tried to be pulled, went side to side some more, had a boost, used my elbows, had another boost and I was through.

After lunch underground one man bailed on the group and we continued another 4 miles 270ft below the surface. When I am rich I will buy out the tour for a few friends and me. People actually have done this because it’s amazing how much more you can do in a small group. A good portion of the tour is waiting for others to crawl and get through small holes. We had an interesting group. After the army crawl of my life we made it out of no mans pass. It’s amazing how quick six hours can pass underground.

After our drive back we went to my friends church life group, which was an experience. I am very glad they let me partake but have some opinions I’ll keep private. We went to feed the dogs but due to no furnace ended up back in Versailles, not Lexington.

I love the Old Frankfurt Parkway and the fact that my friend is used to driving it so we can go quick.

Man was I sore Monday. My cold was pretty bad the night before so my abs hurt from coughing. I hadn’t crawled in a while so the knees weren’t looking too nice. The worst was where I fell off the horse. I am too young to be this out of shape!

Luckily Monday was a relax day. I watched my friend interpret a shortened play version of Anne Frank’s Diary and walked around the Frankfort Historical District. Afterwards we relaxed in the cold house with the dogs and then headed to our back to back movie selections. I still loves this theater. For three dollars each we saw The Switch, and Toy Story 3 in theaters. Because it was Monday we could have bought a drink and popcorn for $2.50. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again. I love this theater and every city needs one like it.

The night came to a close at Abuelos for dinner. We fed the puppies and headed back to the farm.

Tuesday was an early rise and I prepared myself for some time at the Lexington airport. What a cute airport. Luckily the guy at the Security check point was too informed and wouldn’t let me through with my travel document. I had to go back to check in and that’s when the magic happened. My original flight was overbooked so they complexly changed my plans. No waiting two hours in Lexington, no layover in Chicago and I got home three hours earlier than planned!

After a good dinner at home, laundry done, and planning for Florida made, it is nice to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment