Friday, February 25, 2011

Captains Log Number 1007257885. The Funk

World of Coke, Underground, Varsity’s, Variety Theater


I made my way to downtown Atlanta, found a five dollar place to park and headed to the World of Coke. Once inside I looked over all the memorabilia (there was a freaking ton), and enjoyed some exhibits. The welcome lady was great, intro video strange, 4-D ride fun, and the commercials throughout time enjoyable. However, the hands down best part was the tasting room. The gift shop is HUGE but who really wants all that coke stuff?

After all the caffeine I decided to turn Atlanta into a walking city. I took a picture of CNN but did not go in, enjoyed Centennial Park, made my way to Underground Atlanta (which reminds me of Union Station in ST. Louis), and then walked all the way to The Varsity through the campus of Georgia Tech.

Although the grease from my few onion rings made me nauseous this place is a must see. Yes it’s the world’s biggest drive on and been around forever but it screams United States. I loved it!

I headed back to Kayla’s where I got to rest a bit and get ready. Marcus met up with us and we then headed to the Variety Theater in Little Five Points. WE got there just as Los Amigos Invicibles were finishing up but were treated to the amazing performance by Shorty Trombone. These guys were great! They had a fun group dynamic, Shorty had a wonderful personality you could see from stage, and the talent was inspiring. Words cannot describe the amazingness of this jazz funk group.

We ended the night, which had was well into the morning, at R Thomas for some 24 hour organic food. I felt like I was in an exotic hippie land and loved it. Except that I felt bad for the birds.

Good times in Atlanta. What a great city. Like all cities it has its sad areas and weaknesses which I got to see on my walk. Overall, I am a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment