Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day Four, crowds



I had homemade baked oatmeal for breakfast in Lancaster County, PA. Said goodbye to my friends family, called my dad, and hit the road to Hershey. But, oops, forgot I wanted to go to an Amish house.

Once I turned around I went for the Amish House and Farm tour. You couldn’t miss it. Its next to the Target. This was a great tour. Just what I needed to understand the Amish. Not that one can understand the Amish, but at least I learned.

Once again I was on the road to Hersey. Hershey is special. Worth seeing and experiencing but I do not recommend Hershey on Father’s Day after school children have been let out for the summer. I did the free “tour”, saw the gift shop and walked around looking for a post card. Damn capitalism, you had to buy a packet of postcards, you couldn’t just buy one. I then wanted to go to the Hershey Museum to learn about the man who has given his fortune away, twice. However, this girl does not have a fortune. I sadly have realized I cannot do it all. Decisions will have to be made and things left out. If I had all the money and time that’s another story.

After Hershey I headed to Gettysburg. Once there and informed my Parks Pass wouldn’t work for anything I was ready to go. I saw the Morgan Freeman narrated video, an amazing painting video ting that has a name I cannot remember, went to the museum, and then did a shortened driving tour.

I need to stop worrying about getting to peoples places at a certain time so I can enjoy my activities. I don’t want to make anyone wait. Especially someone who is hosting me.

I left Gettysburg for Pittsburgh after a long moment with the maps. I may have to back track tomorrow but it’s worth it to see Pittsburgh. Also, route 30 was beautiful!

The day was great minus the CRAZY crowds everywhere. I don’t think I like crowds but there is no way around them in the summer. I highly highly recommend Gettysburg. Give yourself plenty of time, leave the kids at home (they don’t care), and spend the extra money for a narrated CD or better yet, a tour guide who drives your car!

No comments:

Post a Comment