Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day Three, technology

What did people do on road trips without technology? Without the cell phone, GPS, and lap top, today would have not been possible. I even tried the old fashioned way of asking for directions in a gas station but they were not any help. Very nice, just not helpful.

Woke up bright and early today; well, bright and early for a 25 year old, and left Philadelphia. My first stop was at Valley Forge. After a phone call home, and much debate, I chose to rent a bike and ride around the historic site. The bike ride and grounds were beautiful but I was not getting the actual feel for the history. I do have sympathy for the men of the time after seeing the grounds and informational video. The video also helped me to understand the revolutionary war and Valley Forge better. The park is beautiful and clearly locals got to walk and bike on a daily bases. The real deer were fun to see too.

I left Valley Forge and started to my trip to Lancaster County but got side tracked by a sign on the highway for the another National Site. I then detoured on two gorgeous back roads to get to the Hopewell Furnace Site. What a gem. I loved the winding road to the entrance and the quaint little, well preserved site. Also, the people were extremely friendly and helpful.

Continuing on back roads I made it to the famous Lancaster County. The GPS took me on a back road through farm and buggy country. Then there was a blocked road and I was back to traffic and congestion. I arrived at the Amish Framers Market I was headed to and left after 10 minutes. Not exactly what I was expecting. I assumed the market would have fresh fruit and veggies and baked goods. Well you know what they say about assuming?

I left the market to go to the Bird-In-Hand Bake House. Pure Mennonite and perfect. I then stopped at a Visitor Center on the way to my friends parents house. After a phone call to their house for directions I arrived at my stop for the night. My friends parents then graciously took me out to Shady Maple Smorgasbord to experience my very first Pennsylvania smorgasbord. Their house and generosity definitely beat camping.

1 comment: