Thursday, August 19, 2010

August 18, Pigeons




Big thanks to Jill and Goodbye to Nashville. After a fun trip looking for I-40 we were on our way to Knoxville. Knoxville is not a bad city to look at but doesn’t really have much going on. It seems fun with character but after an hour we were ready to leave. Only the train got in our way. The best part of Knoxville were the cowboy boots rain boots I tried on and the fun store they were in.

After Knoxville we drove down a very commercial highway right into the town of Pigeon Forge. This place really reminded me of Branson Missouri and it was oober tourist honky tonk. Repeats of chain restaurants were prevalent on the street and any game you could think of. It may be great for kids but it wasn’t our cup of tea.

After Pigeon Forge we were very skeptical of Gatlinburg. We thought it would have some historic homes and be like Charleston, but we were mistaken. The eight mile artisan loop redeemed the town from my doubts and I wish I had more time to explore the local artists work. The downtown was still honky tonk but with a little more class and variety. Thanks goodness the Smoky Mountain National Park is nearby to get away from the congestion.

You have to have a real sense of adventure and love of the catered to tourist towns to enjoy this area. I could see how one could spend a week here between Dollywood, shows, gaming activities, the park, and the art loop. I however do not think I would recommend these places. They are just a little too touristy. Gatlinburg might also be better when it’s not raining and if you love to eat.

After some debating on what to do, stopping at the Visitor Center twice, driving through part of the beautiful park, and being told about the rain advisory, I assisted Tes to set up her first tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment