Friday, August 13, 2010

I know why Popeye lives in a can. August 6





Okay so I do not know why he lives in a can but I am sure the woman working at his museum could have told me why.

I left St. Louis after saying goodbye to all and headed to Red Bud, Illinois, a town I have wanted to visit for many years. A usually quick trip from St. Louis was delayed by construction, an incinerated 18 wheeler, pumping gas, getting a Dr. Pepper for a man who could not walk, and then the GPS being special.

Once in Red Bud I saw the best electronic billboard at a bank, my friends gorgeous house, and more importantly her family. I then received a tour of the very cute own, much bigger than I had previously thought, and we headed to a smorgasbord to eat. Next the excitement began.

My friend, her mother, and Grammy, took me on a tour of Chester, IL, the home of Popeye. Here there is a museum with crazy amounts of memorabilia (in an important building), murals, and of course… the statues. Now why in Chester IL you ask? Well I asked that as well. The writer is from here as well as the inspiration for the main characters. They are real people. After my awesome tour it was time to head to the home of another super hero.

The one, the only, Superman. Although I did not get to see him in his home besides the statue I did go to his “museum.” The museum was really the largest collection of memorabilia not so much of a museum. Although it could have been set up more professionally it was fun to see and informative amidst all the madness. In case you did not know his home is in Metropolis, duh. This is a special town. Superman stuff, Thor’s Gym, a country music memorial place and something else random that I did not got to.

With the help of my father I decided not to drive three hours to try and see albino squirrels. I instead drove three hours to go see Santa Claus.

There is no Wal-Mart in Santa Claus so I stayed in the surprisingly large town of Jasper Indiana.

Question, why are there so many hotels in the middle of nowhere? They’re actually known companies as well.

I saw a man filling the bed of his truck with Natty Lite and his license plate was RIP. That was fun.

I heard my first ever Mormon Church advertisement on the radio.

I never new some gas stations had a lower price if you pay in cash. It was even marked at the pump.

Two lane highways with no lights are fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment