Friday, August 13, 2010

August 8,9,10: Kittens

Sunday started with lunch at a new restaurant. I love trying new things. Now I was told it’s a chain, but I have never seen a Beef O’Bradys before and was happy to have tried it. I then had some good hang out time with my friend, her family and boyfriend. Followed by a very yummy dinner cooked by her father and story time with her mother. Which I always love.

Monday my friend had to work so her dad got to play tour guide. I have been to this very small town three or four times now but somehow we were able to see things I have never seen before. I loved the local grocery store and lumber yard. Randomly in both places the men I met had a connection to CT. Small world. I wish both places the best because I love local stuff.

I am not sure how but in the 2 ½ years I was gone the high school was able to do a massive expansion. I didn’t even recognize the school. It looks amazing and double the size! After being in high school again with the former principal we thought t was time to drink. Just kidding. We headed to the winery because we wanted to, not because we needed to.

The Smith-Berry winery is set up on this beautiful farm and offers some great summer activities. Besides the tour and tasting you can picnic, watch concerts and more. They have a very nice set up on the farm and the two families have a great KY history. The wine is very yummy as well. Their most popular is a blackberry wine that has no taste of alcohol but packs a punch.

While waiting for my friend I learned more about her dads work at Cedar Lakes after his retirement from the school system. I am glad KY has a place like this and such dedicated warm employees.

I was able to see part of Cedar Lakes firsthand the next night when we attended the ribbon cutting ceremony of three new residential homes. The president, board of directors, politicians, families, and volunteers all make these homes special and I am happy to have witnessed the event.

We ate dinner at a Chinese buffet, played with my fishing rod, had a few more good laughs, and it was time to say goodbye to my good friends, the animals, and the farm.

The evening wasn’t over for me. I left one farm to drive back roads to another. The Old Frankfort Pike seemed gorgeous at night with its narrow tree and stone lined road. I could not wait to see it in the day time.

I then surprised my friend’s mother by arriving to their beautiful farm house without my friend. The rest of the night was spent catching up with my friend and being silly like usually. I like this part of Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment