Friday, August 13, 2010

August 7th. What do Santa Claus and President Lincoln have in common?




After driving along the time change line and getting confused I drove through the town of Santa Claus. I think it was too early to drive through Santa so I headed to the boy hood home of Lincoln. Here is where he said he grew up so there is a humongous National Park here. There is also one in KY where he was born, IL where he worked as a lawyer, and of course DC. Who knew?

This park was beautiful and had a lot going on. Movie, reenactment area, cell phone tour, 12 stone tour, and beautiful rock wall mural things. What are those called? The 12 stone walk had stones from 12 influential parts of his life brought to that location. It was a little strange but a neat way to use the land. The reenactment area would be good for someone who did not know how settlers or pioneers lived but for me not necessary.

It was time to go see Santa. However, he was not there. This was the town named Santa Claus, legally. EVERYTHING is named after the Christmas theme. Streets, shopping plaza’s, grocery stores, stores and more. Here there is a free museum, a yummy smelling Christmas shop, a few other shops, the Holiday World theme park, Candy Castle, and the all important Post Office.

I checked out the museum, sent some things from the post office, and passed on a frozen hot chocolate from the Candy Castle. I am partial to frozen hot chocolate from New York. Did you know that if you want a certain post mark on your mail you need to ask? You could send something from the Lincoln Post Office or from Santa Claus but unless you ask it will be post marked from the processing plant in a city sometimes far away.

After visiting this very special town I headed to the Marengo Caves. It was crazy busy here but decided to take both tours in order to see all of the cave. Minus the crawling tour. This cave was cool, literally, but I had a very annoying tour. I tried to tune the people out but it was just a rude group of people. Oh well, that sometimes happens.

It did help me realize that I would like to get paid for observing and drawing conclusions from watching people. How can I do that? I think I would be good at it.

Also, I really like the East Coast and National Parks System. Things on the East are just done so much bigger, and to me more extravagant. Maybe that’s why New York is so special. Also, the NPS has a great organized professional system set up.

After the caves I went to the town of Corydon Indiana. This was the location of the States first capital. Which I did not know until I arrived there. There visitor center and old buildings should really stay open past five on Saturdays. They missed out on helping me and three other families that pulled up around 5:20.

Having to make do without the Visitor Center I used my second best decision making tool and called home. I had my father give the cell phone to my mother so she could call her friend from KY who lives in CT. However she was not home. Another friend was called, the husband reached, and it was he who drove to catch my mother’s friend at a red light to get the name of a restaurant name. Great team effort and help from another state. THANKS ALL!

Finally getting the name of the restaurant it took a good thirty minutes to find the Overlook Restaurant. After a phone call to them, struggling with the GPS, turning around many times, and asking for directions I made the beautiful drive out. However, it was now prime dinner time and there was a thirty minute wait. If I was not alone I would have waited but wanted to get driving to my friends house in KY. At least I got to see the place and the beautiful view.

After more traffic, driving through Louisville, and taking a back way to La Grange, KY I made it to my friends work. It was great to see my friend at work. I had dinner and a yummy mocha chip flurry then went to her house to see her family.

It was great to see the family while waiting for my friend to finish work. We watched some funny TV and when my friend came home the movie entitled “Clash of the Titans.” Another great day on the trip.

I forgot how much I loved my friends farm in Campbellsburg, KY.

Why would a dry county sell alcohol in restaurants but not stores. Wouldn’t you want people to drink at home not in public than drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment