Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August 23, Malaria




I have seen the Norfolk Airport and it is very cute. I unfortunately had to see the airport because I dropped off my travel my buddy. I then drove the beautiful approach to the Norfolk Botanical Gardens but did not feel like walking around the grounds so I turned around.

After a stop in a church parking lot to figure out my attack for the day I drove through downtown Norfolk on my way to the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel. The bridge was so fun to experience but expensive. I also should have stopped at the lookout but for some reason did not. Oh well.

Once on the other side I think I was given the entire contents of the welcome center. I made the decision to make four stops on my way to Assateague Island National Seashore. Attractions on route 13 was not marked well and I somehow missed all of my stops. They weren’t marked and the road went much quicker than I thought. Oh well.

Once at the Island I was rather frustrated. The mosquitoes made it almost unbearable. I reached the historic lighthouse and had to turn around for repellent. Then I had to run to the lookout due to bugs. If I stopped they would literally cover me. On the way back I swung my bag to protect my legs and waved my hand in front of my face for the entire way. I do not think my repellent, which I reapplied several times, did anything and it was deet. Thank goodness there is no malaria in the States.

After a quick change and stop at my second visitor center I made my way to the beach. Here I was able to relax bug free for hours. I caught up writing in my journal, people watched, took a walk, and just enjoyed the beach. Not to mention I did see some horses. I am still confused if they were the wild wild ones or the fire department wild ones.

After a walk on the beach it was time to “shower,” change, and organize the car. Then the mosquito’s started again. On a positive note. Someone left two very nice baseball gloves in the changing area and no one stole them. Yay good people, sad for the people who left the gloves.

I do not like driving at night. No I am not scared, and yes I can see fine at night. What I don’t like is that I miss stuff. Like scenic byways. Oh well. I should have looked at why I wanted to go the highlighted place on my map before driving there. I made it to Belrin, MD. I realized I did not need to repeat the National Park and didn’t have a good place to stay so I headed to Salisbury. I may have missed a lot from driving at night but something tells me I did not miss much in Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment