Wednesday, June 1, 2011

5-31. Big Hair in Montana

So I can’t take a picture because that would be rude, but wow. All of the women working at the FORD dealership in Butte, Montana where I stopped for an oil change have huge hair.


Okay, about the day. I woke up early then went back to bed. I needed to wait for the FORD dealership in Missoula to call me back. However, they never did. So I drove over there. They were completely booked so I went on my way.

I made my way to Butte, where there was a dealership and stopped in Deer Lodge along the way. Deer Lodge has a working cattle ranch run by the National Parks System you can visit. If I hadn’t ever been on a working farm before it would have been cooler. I did learn a lot about cowboys back in the day, saw a beautiful old farm home and got to see Montana’s first prison. If I didn’t have a 12:30 appointment I would have toured the prison and checked out the other museums. I also learned that the owner of Hardy’s is a trillionaire (says my guide from Tennessee) and has the adjacent ranch. I want to look up if Hardy’s beef comes from his ranch because that would be cool and from the U.S.

Yes Montana is beautiful and I am pleasantly surprised at all the history here and how well it is preserved. There are many museums and awesome old downtowns. I also like how the hills have large letters in white for each town you pass on the highway. Some are brighter than others. Like Missoula’s M.

Okay just kidding. Now I am not sure what the letters mean. There was am M on the hill in Bozeman.

After my oh so exciting oil change I went on a self guided tour of The World Mining Museum. I didn’t want to go on the hour and a half underground tour so I walked around the cool old town. There was also a strange doll, doll house, and mineral exhibit. The figurines were cool and the glow in the dark minerals even cooler but still strange. When you’ve been in one mine you’ve been in em all. At least that’s what I tell myself.


I then did a drive by of the Berkeley Mine where I paid my two bucks to walk down on a path. It was really cool, as is the city of Butte. I loved the old parts of the city and it looks like they were trying to restore it. I was also surprised by all the things there were to do. I see good things for this city in the future.

I left Butte rather quickly wanting to make a few stops before Bozeman. I took the back roads to Nevada City and Virginia City which was SOOOO worth it. Nevada City is a ghost town of 60 buildings from the western days on lots of land that the General Mills guy put together. The highway runs through it and you can stay at the hotel. Then Virginia City is the living ghost town. Its filled with the shops, saloons, and other great stuff. LOVED IT!


I than made the drive to Bozeman along a river. Once in Bozeman I saw why everyone loves it. After going up and down Main Street I asked at a hotel and found Starky’s. I finally got to see where Emily worked, had the best macaroni and cheese of my life, and got a cookie to go. After all that food I “hiked” up Pete’s Hill to watch the sunset. It then got a little chilly.

It wasn’t quite dark so I made my way to Billings. Then t did get dark and I missed scenery. I don’t like missing scenery.

Thoughts:

I forget how big states actually are until I am driving.

Many FORD dealerships are confusing. I never know where to go.

Wow there are a lot of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Montana.

It’s really hard to capture panoramic beauty in pictures.

I like the towns where people from all over the U.S and world get stuck.

I saw a small house for sale in Bozeman for over half a million dollars. Dannnngggg

How do cattle guards work? Do they hurt the cattle?

No comments:

Post a Comment