Friday, June 10, 2011

June 9th. What do Ford, Motown, and Canada Have in Common?

Me!


I got up early but because I am a girl had to lay down again. I made my way to Dearborn, MI to The Henry Ford complex and was blown away! I love that you can drive along the actual plant, and buildings. It also surprised me that not all the cars in the employee parking lots were Ford. So I really had no idea what was at Dearborn and was slightly overwhelmed at my options. I went with the Village and Museum. I should have gone with the Village and Factory Tour but you live and learn.

The Village is a collection on actual buildings and replicas on 88acres of land representing certain time periods in U.S history and people. They had demos going on and you could tour the land on a Model T. My favorite parts besides the T’s were the Edison area, Robert Frosts House, and Webster’s retirement home that came from CT. The museum was a representation of U.S history. I thought it was going to be about Ford. It was crazy crowded with school kids and the car part was closed. Oh well.

My next stop was the Motown Museum. I loved this place!!! It was so historical, informative, and my tour guide was great! I could have done a lot more music wise in the U.S but this was the best decision. I think I love Motown Music and I learned a lot! The area didn’t seem like the best but it was worth it.


I than attempted to get dad some presents from his sports teams Pro Shops but no such luck. Thats what happens when you root for Detroit teams. I made my way to Canada but had no such luck finding the bridge. I turned around and made it into Canada. It was my first time driving in Canada and it felt a little strange. I didn’t want to speed but wow was I being passed. I also didn’t want to stop for gas or food because I didn’t want to deal with Canadian money.

I finally got out of traffic and crossed the Peace Bridge into Buffalo. Once I turned around again I met Anna down on Allen street and had Buffalo Wings in Buffalo! They were delicious and it was really nice to hang out with Anna. She gave me a great tour of Buffalo and I learned A LOT. Buffalo is beautiful and the Mansion Mile, or Million Dollar Mile is gorgeous!

Before reaching Anna’s house south of Buffalo we got some yummy custard at Custard Lite. I met her mom and step dad, chatted a bit, laughed, and called it a night.

Thoughts:

The Ford Plant is huge! And the museum is not about FORD.

I forgot the Red Wings play at Joe Lewis Arena and had to ask.

I could have done a lot in Canada. Most of my drive was Canadian farmland but I was then near Toronto, (where the Hockey Hall of Fame is), and Niagara Falls (I want to see Niagara Village).

What is Nexus? It is a lane you can got though at the border?

Of course I picked the lane where the man with a French accent checked the trunks. I was entering the U.S, why did he have a French accent?

No comments:

Post a Comment