Monday, October 11, 2010

October 10, Holy Cold




Everything is so close here yet it is taking me a long time to get from one place to another. There is so much to see that rushing is not needed.

I awoke thinking I would hike to the summit of Mt. Battie in Camden Hills State Park to get a breathtaking view of Acadia National Park. However, the weather had other plans. It was so cold that I drove the car road, took a few pictures and hopped back in the car. No morning hike for me.

I than slowly made my way to Acadia. Holy crap was it busy. Maybe the four cruise ships and countless tour buses had something to do with it. Lucky for me they have a free bus service, The Island Explorer , within the park and on the entire island. Given that the day was so cold and I was a little sore I chose to ride around on the buses. I got to see a great overview of the entire Island, laugh with some Germans, did some good leaf peeping, and didn’t have to drive. I took a ride out to the farthest point thinking I could make the 6:30 bus back to my car. That didn’t work.

I ended up in the town of Bar Harbor with a few hours to kill. It’s really too bad I don’t like to shop or go to bars alone. Luckily I got a hold of a friend and we chatted until my bus came. I wish I were more outgoing when alone so I could have made friends. Oh well, next time. I did talk to a local woman on my long bus ride out to Bass Harbor and she gave me some good tips for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment