Friday, October 22, 2010

October 19, Muscle Man Trophy



Overview: Thacher State Park, Baseball Hall of Fame, World’s Largest Kaleidoscope, stone houses.

Who knew the trophies for muscle man body building competitions are bronzed muscle men? I had no idea. It was also fun to see baby pictures of my friend and stuff from his childhood, but it was time to take off.

Our first stop was a drive past my friends childhood home. Next we headed to his grandparents house a little un announced. His grandparents were great, especially his grandma, and their old farm house was amazing. We were on a slight time constraint and just stopped by to say hello but there was enough time for a tour. The old farm house has slowly been redone and is decorated like a cozy antique home. I hope to visit this home again when I have more time. I loved the high baths.

Our next stop was at Thacher State Park where my friends work when its season. This place had a great view, school group, and news broadcast. It is a very popular place and even if the state doesn’t have enough money for all its parks it should keep this one. Not wanting to take a “hike” in the cold or deal with the school group I headed out of town.

Thanks to my GPS I made my way to Cooperstown, NY on all windy, pretty back roads. Wow does this town revolve around baseball. All the stores on main street were baseball themed and had memorabilia. Rightfully so, this is the birthplace of baseball, and home to the Hall of Fame and Museum.

The Hall of Fame and museum was crazy crowded. The intro video was so cheesy it made me smile but people seemed to enjoy it. I learned a little more about baseball, got to see some world series rings, and a few great exhibits. I like how they honored true dedicated supporters from back in the day. I am not giving away anything. You have to go see it for yourself.

Not in the mood for historic mansions I headed to Mt. Tremper in the Catskills to see the world’s largest kaleidoscope. WOW. After a stop in a random cute town for gas I was n my way. This town seemed like the hub for rafting and floating in the Catskills. I should probably look at a map to get its name. Once in the Emerson compound I found it. I saw an old barn and wondered if the mill was it. Sure enough it was. Once inside the old mill I paid my five dollars to lie on the floor and experience the show inside the world’s largest kaleidoscope. That is all I will say.

After the show I moseyed around the very strangely decorated Inn, Spa, and five shops in this Emerson Campus thing. I guess in the summer this is a very popular place. The Inn and spa were Buddhist Zen meets antique country. The shops were art, antiques, kaleidoscope, market, and house ware all in an old barn. Why not?

As I made my way back to the other side of the Hudson I stopped to see the Huguenot Street Stone Houses in New Paltz. Unfortunately I arrived late and the museum/visitor center was closed. Not wanting to hang around until the next day I snapped a few shots of their exteriors and left. Time to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment