Saturday, October 9, 2010

October 9, It Smells Like Winter (and Feels Like it Too)




I rode a boat this morning for an hour and a half in rough surf. No I was not selling hot dogs. I made my over to Mohegan Island on the last ferry of the year. Okay that was a slight exaggeration. It is however the last weekend the ferry is running. Does that count?

I am so happy Scott made the recommendation I visit this place. I had never even heard of it and now will recommend it to everyone.

This entire trip I have been constantly amazed with the beauty and quaintness of each town I have been through. How is it possible that all of Maine’s towns are cute?

The Island is 11 miles off the coast of Maine and has two ferry ports you can leave from. I chose to leave from Boothbay Harbor. I wish I had the personality to go to a bar alone because this place seemed very lively at night. Many people were driving in and they seemed to mostly be dinner eaters. Not the point. Maybe I will work my way to just hanging out in bars alone. Will that make me an alcoholic? Back to the Island.

It is mostly a Land Trust so no new structures can be built, it is an artist colony (Boothbay Harbor appeared to be one too), and has amazing trails and scenery to see. It is peaceful and pretty much untouched. Some locals were friendly others were not. Trails weren’t crazy well marked which made me nervous at one point, but it was still very very enjoyable, and cold. It's not flat, it's actual hiking. The ferry ride home was freezing so before I walked around Boothbay I had to put on my winter jacket, gloves, and headband. Haven’t had to do that in years.

Not wanting to go to a bar I rather quickly decided my next move. As I raced the setting sun past amazing foliage I arrived in time to see the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse (this is the lighthouse on their quarter). As the sun set I took some pictures and walked around this gorgeous point. Now that it was dark I could not stop at the beach, or fort, or take the scenic loop back to Route 1. Oh well.

Retracing my steps through Damariscotta I had the time to stop at their pumpkin festival. I LOVE FALL!!! It smells so yummy too. These were not your ordinary painted or carved pumpkins but they were all on what seemed to be prize winning sized pumpkins. So creative and artistic.
Not wanting to go to any bars I strolled around the town looking at pumpkins, the restaurants, and left. I made my way to Rockland again on Route 1. I now think all of Maine’s towns are cute and other states should take notes. I passed through a few small towns and even though I can’t see yet Rockland has some promise. They have a Doorways of Rockland poster in the McDonalds. That to me is a good sign.

Driving at night is no fun because I am missing stuff. You can’t see the stars in a Wal-Mart parking lot and not much is open. I like tree COLORS


No comments:

Post a Comment