Friday, October 8, 2010

October 7, Drive




I said goodbye to the animals at my friend’s apartment in Portsmouth, NH and headed out to Maine. Of course I had to stop for a few pictures first. For some reason I did not bring my camera with me on my strolls.

I drove through the small town of Kittery and wasn’t too impressed. Maybe I somehow missed the actual downtown because I have heard good things. I then took off without much guidance expect the knowledge of the route number I wanted and the desire to be near the water. I found Fort McClary State Park in Kittery and loved it. At first I wasn’t sure what to expect. As I got closer the sun was shining brightly off the water and an old wooden fort was up on a hill. You could walk around the fort and see remains of many buildings that used to be on the site. They also had this cool structure underground that had window lookout holes to the ocean. My goal is to be thin enough to fit through these windows. Very cool place.

I than headed off to South Berwick in order to visit The Hamilton House. On my way I saw some awesome leaves and wanted to stop for pictures. I am driving very slow and doing lots of leaf looking! So the Hamilton House is this gorgeous Georgia Style home at the tip of two rivers. The best part are the house were the hand painted walls decorated to look like Rome, Ancient Greece, and the area. I LOVED this. The trip to this very small town is worth it because of these walls! Not to mention the tide line outside matches the tide line in the mural wallpaper.

I then made my way back to the coast. I followed the road along the coast on my way to Old Orchard Beach. I noticed some beach access so decided to randomly park. I hit the beach walking and just kept walking. A few hours later and some good phone conversation it was getting dark and time to find the car. Finding the car was interesting but beautiful .

Once again in the car I headed to Portland. It was now dark and I wasn’t exactly sure where I was going. After a few turn arounds I started my journey looking for a coffee shop downtown. Downtown looked cool but I was in no mood to find parking at night. So… no coffee shop. I ended up at my place for the night rather early. Did some very unproductive driving in circles and called it a night!


I wish I could take pictures of all the pretty colors I see.

A woman said you can take the New Englander out of New England but never New England out of the New Englander. She moved back after five years. I would like to think about this more.

It makes me smile to see all the people with cameras around their necks.

Lots of foreigners.

Old Orchard Beach is filled with hotels and none are chains. I like that.

Places in Maine close when it gets cold. Not much is open now or after October 15. Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment