Friday, October 8, 2010

October 8, I Like Colorful Trees




Question of the day: How do I capture the beauty I am seeing as I drive by?

I awoke early and forced myself to lay in bed knowing nothing would be open. When the sun heated the car and the frost was gone from my window it was time to get a move on. I had a feeling it was still too early but wanted to get going. Using my intuition I found a place to park. I them embarked on a self guided tour of Portland.

Being early in the day there was a lot of traffic but nothing open. Which I am fine with because I don’t like to shop. I was going to wait it out in a coffee shop but that’s just not my style. I saw some great places and this city seems like a lot of fun. Old Port is definitely a place I would like to visit again and there is tons of industry on the water front. Like a cruise ship.

On my way out of town I stumbled upon this gorgeous park. Along the railway and waterline north of Portland is a beautiful park. Tons of people were out walking their dogs or running. The neighborhood above the park looks very Victorian and beautiful.

I then crossed the bridge into Falmouth and luckily stopped at a Visitor Center. Not only did I get some good info but was told about DeLorme just across the street. Here I was privileged to see the world’s largest revolving world globe. I still need to look up what exactly DeLorme does BUT they have this globe and an amazing map shop. Of course the maps I wanted to purchase were out of stock, but I took down there stock numbers to order them.

After maps I made my way to Freeport to do some shopping. I know I don’t like shopping (in fact I am pretty sure I hate it), but I couldn’t pass the opportunity to stop in Freeport, home L. L. Bean. Who knew L.L. Bean was this monstrous! I liked the L. L. Bean places and a few of the outlets like North Face, but it’s very boring when you don’t actually need anything.

I than sat in the car trying to figure out my next step. I think I am used to the mid west where everything is far far apart. I forget that this is the East Coast and its all relatively close. After much debate I made my way to America’s Quaintest Town, Wiscasset, Maine. Minus the traffic I see why this town has been given this name, or chosen it. I stopped at the Castle Tucker but chose not to do the tour for fear of the other house run by Historic New England closing. I made it to Nickels-Sortwell House in time for a tour and a very nice man allowed me to park at his gorgeous antique store. This town is full of antique stores and beautiful historic homes. Many of the home are for sale. They need a lot of work but if you have a lot of money it’s worth it.

The Nickels House was neat and had some awesome features. Like all the hand carved wood work on every floor and spiral stairs. I liked it. If the town didn’t have the worst traffic in Maine it would be the perfect small town on the outside.

After asking someone how far it would be to get to Augusta I headed there. While looking for a freaking coffee shop with internet I was able to see the rather sad downtown of Augusta and the cute small town of Hallowell. After being frustrated I asked for some advice at a Super 8. They have been very helpful on this trip and here in Maine that proved very true as well.

This state is CRAZY busy with tourists. All the hotels are filled and the out of state license plates are fun to see.

Why don’t young people go leaf looking?

No comments:

Post a Comment