Thursday, October 14, 2010

October 14, Lots To Do Today




Waking up early I said no to a warm breakfast and headed out of town. The scenic road wasn’t very scenic due to clouds/fog. If you are looking at them they are clouds but if you are in it its fog. What do these people do out here?

I stopped for a picture in Montpelier but didn’t want to hang out. This city looked like it was thriving which is nice.

Not knowing I could have stayed on Route 2 I took the highway for the first time in a week to Burlington. Who knew I was so close. I got some good information at the Visitor Center and took some very pretty back roads to the Shelburne Farm. Here I got an amazing open wagon tour of the Vanderbilt/Webb grounds. What a great place for students and the world of agriculture. I now want to stay at the Inn here. It’s like all the houses I have been touring but you are actually allowed to touch stuff! Not to mention it has beautiful grounds right on Lake Champlain.

Our tour ended in the education center where we watched them make cheese. We then got to have a cheese tasting for our tour group only. I was amazed by the people eating the visitors samples when they knew the groups were coming in two minutes.

I bought some cheese for a friend, a hot pepper cream cheese dip which sounds gross but is way yum for me, and headed out.

I arrived at the Shelburne Museum not knowing what to expect. I thought it was an art museum. Boy was I wrong. This museum was the best representation of the United States I have ever seen in one place (mainly east coast). All buildings came from the East Coast or were exact replicas of buildings. They were filled with either amazing art or time period artifacts. The amount to see and take in was overwhelming and almost too much. Your ticket allows you to enter for two days. I think the best plan of action as to not get burned out would be to do half one day and the rest another. Regardless, it is a must see.

I skipped the beach art buildings, maybe one other, and rushed the circus and ceramic exhibit. I think I did well for over thirty buildings in two hours. I rushed to finish in order to go on a tour of the Magic Hat Brewery.

I arrived very early but was worried about being late. This brewery, although small is amazing. The entire vibe, decoration, and employee moral is visible to everyone. Videos of the owner and by the owner are enjoyable and make you smile. The tour and samples are free.

For nostalgic purposes I drove through downtown Burlington then called it a night.

So… Your next overnight to VT should include Ben and Jerry’s Factory Tour, the two Shelburne attractions, Magic Hat, downtown for dinner, and stopping at some local farm stands for maple syrup. They are all so close to each other. Yes its VT and on a beautiful lake but who needs a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment