Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 12, A Day To Drive




Not in the mood to hike really at all I headed across the state of Maine into New Hampshire. Goodbye Acadia.

The drive across the state took me a good four hours, maybe more. When I was almost at the Maine New Hampshire border and on scenic route 26 I passed a few small state parks. At these parks I got to walk a little, see three waterfalls and a cave, and be outside on this gorgeous day. The air is just so clean and cold. Many trees have already lost all their leaves and leaf peeping was better on the coast but it was still gorgeous.

My favorite part of the drive was a pedestrian crossing sign. In the middle of nowhere Maine there was a pedestrian hoola hooping. This made me smile and turn around for a picture. It made me smile even more because I know what it means.

The reason for my long drive was to see, and possibly stay, at the Balsams Resort. As I rounded a corner I was surprised by its grandness in the middle of nowhere. It really is in the middle of nowhere. No wonder they offer food packages. I chose not to stay but am so so so happy I drove to see it. The grandness of the outside is not matched by fanciness on the inside. It truly is historic and I felt I was in the past. I took a self guided tour of the place, saw the famous Ballot Room, the old billiards room, game room, and all the old photos. I was by far the youngest visitor there and they didn’t appear to have many guests. Maybe another time.

I left the resort to drive some more. I knew I was close so I attempted to drive the Mount Washington Auto Road to watch the sunset. Last trip up was at 4:30 so now that will be for tomorrow.

Berlin, New Hampshire is not such a pretty town.

I was sooooo close to Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment