Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Shey

The Navajo Tribal Council is very cool!



I went to the small Navajo (Dine) Museum in the council building and then checked out an art place. Still not sure which rock was Window Rock but didn’t care too much to find it.

There was cattle on the road. Like right on the busy road.

I should have taken a picture. On the reservation you can buy Gas, do your laundry, and buy snacks n the same place.

Drove along road with littered beer bottles on the side to get to Hubbell.

Hubbell Trading Post is very old and still working. Loved it.


Back in Taos I talked to this boy who did a Native American exchange program from his tribe to Alaska. Very cool and nice to see the cultures surviving and learning from each other.

Today white people are Anglos, not white man.

There was a cool Art co-op with the artist working. The rug weaving is crazy cool.

It’s interesting to see these small round houses on peoples land. Are they homes or ceremonial?

Canyon de Chelly, pronounced Shey, is a living working reservation community. That’s so cool. The Canyon is also really neat. You are allowed to drive along it on certain roads. It’s also worth booking a private tour so you can go in the canyon and through the river.


Now that I have seen Mesa Verde, Chaco and Chelly, I think I am good as far as ruins go. There still really cool and New Mexico has a TON of sites you can visit.

The American Southwest is windy in March.

I maybe saw a pack of wild dogs. Or, just crazy reservation dogs all together.

I still feel bad not buying work from the artists on the reservations. I have the money and some of the stuff is very good. I feel like I am bothering them. Oh mental dilemmas.

I should have brought my cool old camera from 1985 to be more photographer like.

The Hopi Reservation is much smaller and I passed the high school right next to the prison. The inmates were out playing basketball.

The reservation town of Pollaco was great to see. It’s another world out here.

AZ route 87 was awesome! I couldn’t see any electricity poles for miles. They may have been underground, but it was nice to think I was in untouched land. I cannot imagine living out here though. The scenary was nice.

I feel more comfortable with trees around. I don’t like the aridness. Leaving Flagstaff it was finally very green for a little bit.

I skipped through Flagstaff for the second time in my life.

The approach to Jerome at night was SOOOOOO cool. It reminded me of the drive up to Jerrico in Costa Rica. What a cool former ghost town. Love it.

Conner Hotel was booked. Not sure if I would have liked a haunted hotel, but it would have been a great experience. Luckily the very nice man gave me a card for a free dinner at Quince. They were having an open mike night and it was very good. It would have been the perfect night to make friends, but I was exhausted. Love this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment