Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Know What I Want to Be When I Grow Up!



I made my way to the Visitor Center, then got a tour of Pueblo Bonito. Glad I did this. I learned lots about the Chacoan Culture. Afterwards I took a 7.6mile hike, which was well marked, and I loved most of it. I went through a canyon, saw great overviews of the ruins, saw different ruins, crazy stairs, and more. It was chilly and windy but the sun was out.

So messed up that people would vandalize the petroglyphs. I’m glad their families had to pay $7,000.

I think it’s silly that they are preserving the ruins in the manner they are. Ruins should be left as ruins and return to the earth. They could excavate other sites on the premises of Chaco Canyon then put outer layers on the walls and water tubing.

I think it’s crazy that no one knows anything about this culture, yet they speculate. I now want to be a time traveler in order to see it all before we got here.



I love that back in the 40’s they paid a photographer to wait for the wall to fall and he missed it. It’s like the Universes way of saying, some things are private. Hehehehe

I then drove another 20 miles on a crazy unpaved road to get out of the park without back tracking.

Once back in civilization, sort of, I made my way to Arizona. I just made it over the border and stopped for the night in Window Rock the middle of Navajo Country. They have a garden and are playing Navajo music and rustic furniture. I also got to have Navajo food. It was strange and not traditional, but western influenced.

I then unsuccessfully tried to find a pumus stone. Tomorrow I will do Navajo stuff and be on my way. Before I went to bed I got a call to make sure I got settled in alright. That’s some Navajo service.

Thoughts:

It’s sad to see all the reservation land with Catholic, Jehovah Witness, Mormon, and other religions churches.

Native Americans decorate their gravesites pretty. Unless a holiday just happened that I don’t know about.

Once I turned into Gallup I saw a TON of hitchhikers, all Navajo or Native American. They lined the road and held out money. It made me sad. Then I saw one old guy in the middle of nowhere holding out money. He made me sadder.

There are stray dogs everywhere on reservation land.

No comments:

Post a Comment