Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Monday is Not a Good Day to be in Dallas


I woke up and headed to Dallas. The city was a beautiful city but had weird vibes. I haven’t been approached by so many beggars since Baltimore.

After finding a cheap place to park I headed to the Sixth Floor Museum. The line was crazy and I thought it was due to them just opening so I headed to explore Dealey Park. I was told about a free organ concert at the Symphony Hall so I walked to the north end of the city as fast as I could. I made it on time, but, no concert. The man at the Visitor Center and online were both incorrect. Bummer. Instead I walked around the Art district, which was closed on Mondays, and headed to Thanksgiving Park. Although beautiful it was a very religious place and I got approached by more bums. I couldn’t find the Culture Museum I was looking for and the Women’s Museum was closed on Monday so I headed back to the Sixth Floor.

The line was still crazy so I took a nap. Even though I could have slept more I didn’t want to miss the museum. I read a little inline and finally got in. This museum was great. Besides the huge crowd everywhere the audio tour and visual displays were very informative. I learned a little about JFK and a TON about his assassination. They also had a lot of info on all the different conspiracy theories. They really covered everything and were not biased.

The Seventh floor was a small museum on the life of Jack Ruby, the man who killed Lee Harvey Oswald. It is all very interesting. It also makes me think we will never know the truth or accept it if we do. I believe you can use any evidence, without DNA, to get the results you want. Hence so many different theories that have evidential support.

I made a few phone calls in the car to let traffic slow down and then made my way to Waco. I didn’t know where Waco was and when I saw I would be passing through it called Kayla who gave me Annie’s number. Only a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer could be so ready to hang out on such short notice.

Once in town I met a few of Annie’s friends. We headed to Salty Dawgs for a few drinks. Being a Monday night it was dead which was nice. We sat by the fire and got caught up on life and Waco. After awhile we heard a very drunk white man use the N word in front of the black bar tender. It was time to go.

We ended the night by starting a movie but both fell asleep. Another random meet up and soooo good to see Annie.

No comments:

Post a Comment