Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Saturday, What a Day!


I awoke a little apprehensive about going to the Savoy Music Center because I did not know what to expect or really want to go alone. Once inside I just smiled to myself and enjoyed the jam session. For over 15 years every Saturday morning there is a Jam session. On this morning there were at one time 20 people playing acoustic Cajun music. The majority being old men. The oldest sat next to me and informed me he was turning 93 in June. One man I couldn’t even understand his accent was so thick. I loved it. The man working the counter that day was from NY and explained a lot to me about the difference between Cajun Music and Zydeco, and the culture up there. He informed me the people are segregated by culture not racism. It’s definitely different there. I stayed a few hours and met an older couple from Houston there on business, and an Irish mother and daughter on holiday. I convinced them all to go to Fred’s in Mamou for more music.

It was great to see so many CD’s being sold, listening to the locals, and seeing all the tourists in the middle of central Louisiana.


I passed Fred’s by quite a bit because it was the 2nd time I received bad directions in LA. I waited outide the bar for a few minutes a little scared to enter a bar by myself. It was noon so I thought why not. Once in Fred’s I met up with my new friends. I went out back to talk to Joe and Yo and watch them dance. They are such a happy couple and I couldn’t believe they were in their 70’s! Outside talking to them I looked over and was shocked. I recognized Emily but couldn’t place how I knew here. Once I saw Rochelle and Laura it hit me. They were all Bethany’s friends from school who we had spent Mardi Gras with. Crazy, I know. I made my way over to them and right away was invited back to Emily’s parents house for a Pig Roast. I was blown away and did not want to intrude, but also didn’t want to miss out on such an opportunity to know more of Louisiana, and hang out with people I sort of knew.

I followed them back to Emily’s and was shocked to see such a beautiful large home. Still feeling a little apprehensive I went to meet the family. Everyone was very welcoming and nice but I could only imagine what they were all thinking. Sometimes I wish I could lie to make things easier, but cannot. Once there I learned a lot and ate some new foods. Emily’s younger cousins taught me a lot and her brother helped Laura and I play our first game of Washers.

As the night winded down I had a long debate with myself whether I should leave or spend the night. I did not want to over stay my welcome or be rude but also wasn’t sure how to leave. After an amazing pig roast dinner and homemade ice cream dessert I made the awkward decision to stay.

Some thoughts from the afternoon and evening:

It must be fun t be from a big family and have get-togethers.

I don’t know if it’s just a Ville Platte thing but everyone has nicknames and even though funny the nicknames don’t seem too nice.

There is sooo much French influence everywhere and in school you learn French as your second language. If you want Spanish it’s an online class and no one does it.

They have Squirrel Day! It’s actually an entire weekend but so many kids skip school on Friday they have it off.

Saturday is the day to be in Eunice. From 9am to midnight you can hear live music and see Cajun cooking demonstrations.

I want to experience Mardi Gras central Louisiana style!!!

Seeing FORD dealerships in small towns makes me happy.

I like how you refer to adults not by their last name, but with Ms. Or Mr. in front of their first name. Like Ms. Victoria.

I would like to be on the flipside of this situation someday. For awhile now I have been the random stranger being invited to places or to participate in events. I can only imagine what Emily’s family thought today and look forward to a day when I can be on that side so I’ll know.

Thank you to all of Emily’s Family and Rochelle!!! I got to experience amazing hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment