Friday, March 25, 2011

Majesticness


I woke up early to hit the road but couldn’t leave without saying goodbye to my new friends. On the way out of town I saw a cool RV painted with Million Dollar Raodtrip on the side and lots of toys. I was tempted to turn around and ask their deal but later looked it up online. I don’t think my roadtrip would need to cost a million dollars.

After only about half an hour on the road I passed a Prada. Yes Prada “store” in Marfa. Now this was something worth turning around for. It was a store front in the middle of nowhere. Other than the fact I wanted to clean it’s windows it looked official. It would have been more surprising if I had not read about it awhile back. Later I learned Its actually an art project and all biodegradable. Expect the shoes and purses which were all part of the 2005 collection. The artist thought vandals would get them before the building goes back to the earth. I think that’s explains Marfa well. Corky artists, Prada, and no theft.

I then made the dry drive out of Texas. Before I left though I was driving though the Guadalupe National Park and had to stop. Not wanting to hike I watched a very slow 12 minute video instead. I don’t think I like dry, arid, landscape. I’m more of a lush, green girl.



Out of the park and on to another. I made it to Carlsbad Caverns around 1 and all tours had been sold out. Which I was fine with. I got a self guided tour, and audio tour, and made my way to the Natural Entrance. I am SO glad I did the natural entrance. I have no idea why it closes at 2pm, maybe for the bats, but I HIGHLY recommend this. Yes it’s a mile downhill but that mile is paved with handrails. I enjoyed this part more than the cave itself.

The Big room is just that, big. I almost got bored. It’s great that the cave is accessible to everyone but its take away from the wildness of a cave. Also, aren’t the man made paths affecting the caves natural growth? So, I gave my audio tour thing to a family and walked the next mile quickly. Don’t get me wrong, it was cool and I love being in caves, but smaller more wild tours are much, much better.


The information lady explained in detail the difference between caves and caverns and told me not to miss Alamagordo. While looking at maps in the car I was hoping the person with the another CT license plate would appear before I took off. No such luck so I made the long drive Alamagordo. At one point I wanted to turn around because it was so flat and felt like forever. At least I got to talk to Sam until I lost service.

Once in the Lincoln National Forest, not sure where the forest was, the scenery started to pick up. I went through the small ski town of Cloudcroft but did not stop. I should have checked out the neat old general store but was on a roll, literally. The hills were windy and on a 7% grade. It almost reminded me a little of Alaska. There was even small spots of snow still on the ground. Who knew you could ski in New Mexico.

Luckily the time zone thing was on my side. I made it to White Sands National Monument before the sunset. It’s strange they are in the middle of a missile range but so worth it. I climbed a dune, had a picnic dinner, and watched the sun set. Now this place is majestic. So beautiful and unique. I am fortunate to have seen it and not turned around. I think I could have spent more time hiking here but the park was closing, and once that sun went behind the mountain it sure got chilly. The dunes are a must see, and would be a wonderful date!


Thoughts from the Road:

There is an un-manned blimp outside Marfa that monitors border crossing movement. Neat and creepy.

The lady who lives behind the Inn has her own plane liner and flies in and out. She’s in her 70’s.

The art studios look closed in Marfa. On my way out of town I saw two more.

Thanks for your suggestions to how to deal with bums.

I’m bummed there was no welcome to New Mexico sign.

The road up to Carlsbad Caverns is the Southwest’s version of Mount Washington. Just not as scary or cool.

Gas prices are high in NM and getting higher. Sad face.

I realized there was a water drop on the lens of my camera and you can see it in many of my photos. Big sad face.

No comments:

Post a Comment