Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday the 11th

Laura Plantation, Baton Rouge, Eunice, Cajun Music Hall of Fame


It seems like I left New Orleans days ago yet it has only been a few hours.

I gave Bethany a big hug and thanks then made my way to the small town of Vacherie. First I had to stop at the post office and even though there was only one person in front of me it took awhile. Yet no one made any snide comments.

I think I was on the largest bridge in the U.S but need to check that. I know it’s in Louisiana. Also, Louisiana is such a unique place. Not only are you traveling on mile and miles of swamp land but the culture and history is so different than the rest of the U.S. I would love to spend more time here and really immerse myself in the differences. It even varies depending on where you are in Louisiana. As an outsider it’s hard to keep track. The most important thing I learned today was to never call a white person a Creole or a black person a Cajun in prairie Acadian Culture.

After seeing alien like refineries / factory things and crossing a HUGE bridge in the middle is nowhere my first stop was Laura Plantation. This place was huge and so well prepared. It was a Creole Plantation of the wetland Acadian Culture. I know, I’m confusing, my brain hurts too. The plantation was beautiful and sad at the same time. Not to mention expensive.

I then made my way to Baton Rouge. I walked around for a hot minute then hopped back in the car to head to Lafayette. Baton Rouge had a beautiful old capital and a really unique and tall new capital. The walking area on the water was nice. It seems like a nice city but there is more culture in New Orleans.

Lafayette was much smaller and strip mall like. I passed on the Acadian Village knowing I would be going to a small museum in Eunice.

I made my way to Eunice and drove around the very small town. I was the only person in the Prairie Acadian Visitor Center and didn’t stay long. The ranger told me about all the musical things to do on Saturday in Eunice but I wanted to keep going.

I then stopped at the International Cajun Music Hall of Fame. Even though very small I met a local lady who loved her town. She had such a unique accent as well.

Apparently Eunice is home to a VERY different type of Mardi Gras and I think I would like to experience it next time. Also Eunice is home to several famous music instrument makers.

I left town knowing I should stay for live Cajun Music. When will I get this opportunity again. As I drove 20minutes out of town on back roads past many crawfish ponds I had a debate with myself. Since Kim and James did not get washed away in the tsunami they gave me the reassurance I needed and I turned around.

Once back in Eunice I realized the town was around 12,000 just that no one uses the old downtown much anymore. I settled down for the night and will enjoy the Cajun music jam session tomorrow morning.

Farmers flood their rice fields to harvest crawfish. Or they have a pond on their land next to their rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment