Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Work Day



Today I worked. Yes, actually worked. Last night I made friends with the managers of the Inn and they expressed they needed some help because they were short handed. In the morning they joked about me staying but, I took off. I made it two minutes out of town, called dad, and turned around.

Why not stay and help? They are nice people, I am in no hurry, and I could see more of Marfa.

The washer at the hotel was broken so we made a few trips to the laundry mat. The laundry mat in Marfa is also a coffee shop and ice cream parlor. I still have yet to figure out Marfa. The locals are helping me to understand, but it may take more than two nights. I met a great woman from Maine who has home near Big Bend. She was helpful in explaining how this small art town in West Texas has ties to NY and Hollywood. It also has a famous food truck which she encouraged me to try.

I did a ton of laundry. Which is nice to know how clean Riata Inn is. I hope other hotels are like this. You can tell Tracy and Rick take care of the place and want it to be its best. When downtown I walked around the main street, only slightly got a feel for the art colony, and checked out the Historic Hotel Paisano. I made a friend at the laundry mat, folded towels, and then put them in rooms.




It’s a lot of work to clean 20 rooms and I can’t believe Tracy and Rick did it all by themselves for awhile. At 6 something pm we finished up with the work. Tracy and Rick wanted to treat me to dinner for helping. I told them letting me stay the night was plenty but they insisted. They are such nice people that I don’t mind helping out for a day and getting to know them and their town. I also learned some new trivia. We rode to Mondos in a red 1967 Barracuda with the top down. I got to meet their daughter, who has a great personality like them, and we headed back to the hotel to relax. Well, at least I relaxed.

Even though I got to see the Mystery Lights last night I went to go again. Here I met a man who grew up in Marfa but now lives in Fort Worth. He has made a hobby of studying the lights and literally wrote the book on them. He was very helpful but made me questions whether what I saw last night were the actual lights. Tonight they were not out, which was a bummer, and who knows if I really saw them last night. I think so. They squiggled and split. I didn’t see that with the headlights tonight. I did see the red glow of a large fire. Tracy and Ricky are volunteer fire fighters and got the call around 1pm that there was a canyon fire. At 11pm I could still see it burning! Oh Marfa Mystery lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment