Monday, March 21, 2011

Small Town Texas on Monday

Fredericksburg, Bandera



I don’t like saying goodbye to friends. It’s nice being with people I know or just people I feel comfortable with. Not saying I want to move to Austin, just that I really liked the people.

I made my way not by interstate to Fredericksburg. It’s nice to have a change of scenery and be out of a city. This town had GREAT shopping but I don’t need anything, like to shop, or like buying. It also has great architecture, history, and museums if you’re in to that.

Next stop was Bandera, the cowboy capital of the world. It was a little disappointing to learn Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie had been there but still cool. The shopping here was different as well as the set up of the town. I think I saw more tourists than cowboys but it was a Monday. My friends Aunt and Uncle live somewhere near Bandera but felt funny calling them. Oh well. Glad I got to see the cool little town.

Thoughts:

I wish I knew more people in rural areas.

Cannot find the earrings I want and would actually buy.

There was a lot of cool stuff on the way to Fredericksburg like antique stores, cool recycled art, and fun stuff.

The landscape reminded me of the drive from San Diego to Palm Desert.

I saw a few buffalo farms and one camel farm.

I like the don’t litter signs here is TX. They say: Don’t mess with Texas. I think that slogan can be used for a lot.

I want to know more locals in small towns. Especially on farms.

The ranches in TX all have beautiful entrances even when the home isn’t too beautiful. Some of the houses are BIG!

I like seeing historical markers along the highway. Even though I don’t stop I like that the States is marking its past and that I have the option to stop.

I am a little sad that I have not heard any strong Texas accents.

Past Thoughts:

I saw a Krispy Fried Chicken stand with tons of cats by its side door.

There was an anti Obama billboard outside of Waco followed by an American flag billboard.

I35 has crazy traffic because it’s just two lanes.

I like small town America.

This nice couple in Austin let me try a boiled peanut. Interesting.

I wish I wasn’t helped back by fear to talk to certain strangers. How do you politely deal with beggars and not lie? Help please? Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment