Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Almighty Fat Tuesday the Eighth

I woke up but still didn’t have my Victoria energy. Maybe I was tired or in a mood but it was hard to shake. We made our way to Mikes and met up with the other guys. I still wasn’t feeling right and worried I would miss the parade. However, I met a new friend and we plotted ways to become wealthy. We finally found our spot at the parade and I was into it rather than socializing. After a short bit we moved to meet up with another girl from their program who had set up shop. I wasn’t too thrilled about moving but was so glad we did.

Their friend Jackie had camped out two nights before. They had tents, an area unofficially reserved, AMAZING food, and a port-o-potty. It was so nice of Jackie and her large family to accept our large group and take us in like family. After about an hour or two I warmed up more and had good fun being security of their party. The food was delicious and all home made on the BBQ. What a great, large, southern family.

Zulu was crazy long. Not the most beautiful parade but by far the most popular. It is one of two all black parades. Mardi Gras is so strange. They say it’s not elitist or racist anymore but there were several things that made me question motives or actual meaning. Some of the masks men wore were scary and the draft horses/riders made me nervous/sad for the horses.

After Zulu was Rex then the 18 wheeler parade. Mardi Gras was great but we were tired. Next time I think I should drink more.

We found a cab rather easily and headed home. The three hour nap turned into an eighteen hour sleep. I wanted to see the cops on horses kick everyone out of the street at midnight but didn’t really want to go back to Bourbon so it was fine that we caught up on sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment