Wednesday, March 16, 2011

When You're in Texas Look Behind You

Because that's where the Rangers gonna be.


Annie left for her awesome job at Planned Parenthood and I used the morning to get caught up on work. We met for lunch at a local sandwich place in downtown called Schmaltz’s. Annie drove me around a little bit then had to get back to work. I made my way to the Texas Ranger Museum and Hall of Fame. This Museum had a lot to offer. I watched the 45minute film and quickly walked around. The movie was very informative and they had a lot of memorabilia but way too much small print to read.

I then headed to a different area of the city. Here I enjoyed the huge cattleman sculpture, walked the at one time longest suspension bridge, and relaxed.

I then made my way to the public library to get caught up on life and worked for a bit. I treated myself to dinner at WhatABurger and dang was it big. It was the slowest fast food ever but yummy.

I made the decision not to go to College Station or Houston. A friend who lives in Houston said I wasn’t missing much except the people. Another friend from TX jokes that the only thing in Houston is traffic. Even though I am torn about not going I think it’s for the better. Yes I want to see it but there isn’t anything specific I want to do. Also, I am saving cities for long weekends, remember.

I made my way back to Annie’s who was gracious enough to host me once again and finished up on a few things. We later headed to see Red Riding Hood in the theaters. I actually wanted to see this and minus a few small parts it was very good. Definitely worth seeing.

We Netflixed Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and fell asleep.

Thoughts:

I heard about fried pies in Alabama but here in Texas they advertise for them.

They have day speed and night speed limits on Texas highways.

Waco has strange turn around streets that make me nervous I am getting on a highway.

Texas is flat. Which makes for great sunsets.

Peace Corps people are awesome and flexible.

I don’t know why but I like being in TX. Especially when driving. Except Waco traffic lights suck.

The south is strange and still weirdly segregated / racist / I don’t know. Waco has three separate chamber of commerce’s. One downtown and the other two in the Spanish area and black area. It also has the main downtown and the old beautiful black downtown.

There are some awesome buildings in Waco.

No comments:

Post a Comment