Saturday, July 24, 2010

Friday July 23




After arriving to the Cowboy Museum and Hall of Fame early I sat in the car. When it was time to go in I met a very nice woman who explained the museum to me. Its huge, very state of the art, and beautiful.

On that note, older women in Oklahoma like to stand very close, talk to me for a long time, and talk slow. I just tell myself, patience. They are trying to be helpful and worried about me traveling alone. Such nice ladies and mothers.

The western museum was more like a beautiful art exhibit and western museum in one. Not to mention the cool, yet strange, memorial garden and cemetery. It was only strange because this cemetery was for rodeo animals. An interesting experience.

More on inside of the museum. They had some great exhibits. The history of the rodeo and history of the “cowboy” were informative and fun. Then all the art was beautiful. The winner of their Prix de West show, or something like that, for 2010 is from Connecticut. That was some nice state pride.

Art is CRAZY expensive to buy. Someday I will have the money to buy art from there. The most random event, which made me laugh, was the 2010 Oklahoma Rodeo Pageant going on. I think that’s what it was. It was so western and such a throw back. Good fun to see.

I left to go to the Brownstone area of Oklahoma City and the Banjo Hall of Fame and Museum. After walking around for a bit and putting money in the meter, twice, I entered yet another very nicely done museum. Now I am no banjo fan but this small museum was informative and has a very beautiful collection of banjos. It was a good part of American History to see.

Next I went to see some American History that was not so good. I saw the outside Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial. Than after more walking around because of meters, a not so good lunch, and moving the car, I decided to enter the indoor Museum.

I chose to go in after some debate, because who knows when I will be there again. It was professional and covered all aspects of the event. However, it was very somber and sad. It was so powerful in the Hall of Victims I had to leave. After that I did not want to pay attention anymore.

I also realized that it is not crowds I do not like. It is noise. Even before I went into the memorial I was thinking about this. I can be in a crowded place that is not noisy and have no issues. I just don’t like noise and rudeness. Not sure where this comes from, I’ve had it my whole life, but I like CALM.

After the Memorial I had no desire to stay in the city anymore. I headed to Tulsa for a random Jewish Art Museum. BUT, they close at 5pm and I would miss it. Instead, I made a random phone call, bypassed Tulsa, and Headed to Fort Gibson for the night. Good burgers, new friends, and a beautiful place to stay. Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. cowboy museum? more importantly, did you meet any cowboys?

    ReplyDelete