Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July 7, 2010, tired




Finding internet is not very frustrating, but trying to get connected, now that’s the no fun stuff.


Although I could have slept more this morning I thought I should get on the road. Said goodbye to the nice man in the hotel, who gave me water and breakfast, and headed to see some covered bridges.


Before that, I met a couple biking from Washington State to somewhere on the East Coast. They have those sit down bikes and travel about 50, 60 miles a day. That’s insane! Maybe someday, when I am in shape, I can do that. They don’t get to see or do as much but they will have amazing bragging rights. I wish them the best of luck.


After the bridges I went to the Birthplace of John Wayne. When I got there I was the only one in the place, then it just filled up. I am not a fanatic of anything so it is hard for me to understand the passion and obsession that can be instilled by one person. It was cool to see and all the memorabilia, but also slightly strange. I went because he is part of American History. Others go because they love him.


Also, there is very cool things in that house. It is more like a shrine than museum. Why do people donate their prized possessions? Yes they want others to share in their joy, but once the item is in a museum it is no longer theirs. Those people must be very selfless, or have a lot.


After a few non exciting days in Iowa I headed to Nebraska. My first stop was Omaha. Luckily I was able to walk around the very cool historic Old Market before the down pours started. Loved the Market area and think it would be a great place to go out for a night or two. Lots of fun bars, restaurants and shops. Also, the people seemed to like living there. However, they could not recommended anything fun to do.


You should be able to respond to a tourist with at least one fun and cool thing to do where you live besides a zoo. Especially if you are working in a National Parks office. Although a fun place, not somewhere I would want to live. Maybe visit for longer, but not live.


After Omaha I headed to Grand Island. The third largest city in Nebraska. Minus the frustration of trying to get online and finding something to do after five o’clock, it seems alright enough. Not someplace I would want to live, or visit again, but a place I am glad to have seen.


Why are there so many golf courses in the middle of Iowa?


I think I have snobbish tendencies.


I should probably proofread.


Iowa is not as flat as I thought. Nebraska is flatter


I think I am forgetting something.

No comments:

Post a Comment