Wednesday, July 14, 2010

July 13




If Disney operated a National Park it would be Yellowstone. Minus the monorail, which they need. Or, they should set up a system like Denali. No private cars, just big green busses. Although the monorail would be cool. That way you wouldn’t have a traffic jam of 15 minutes because people are stopped in the road and getting out of their car to say loudly, “oh, poor thing, it looks scared” then laugh at the top of their lungs. This saddened me for the two baby bears trying to hide in the tree. Then I go o a ranger museum and the girl tells me maybe it’s better they learn to be afraid of humans. She then tells me a story about how last week a bear wondered into the campsite and frightened campers. So they tranquilized it and sent it to a zoo in Montana.

I do not feel bad for the people, only the bear. HELLO YOU ARE CAMPING IN YELLOWSTONE! Why couldn’t they just release the bear far away? I’m sure the Bear Task Force had their reason. Well, this story just made me even sadder and put a very bad taste in my mouth for Yellowstone. Yes they may be understaffed and the power was out due to wind storms BUT something needs to be done for the poor baby bears.

The crowds definitely tae away from the wilderness aspect and my personal enjoyment. However, I was impressed with the geysers. I’ve never ever seen so many in one place, and all so visually and scientifically different. The geysers are the must sees of Yellowstone. There are some gorgeous waterfalls as well. Who knew you could scuba dive to 70ft in the Fire River nestled between a red rock canyon. I met a couple who does it once a week and it is now on my to do list.


Although only there a day it was plenty. I got too frustrated with the crowds and traffic. In one day I hiked 10,000plus ft to a fire lookout tower on Mount Washburn, went to 4 visitor centers/museums, saw over 12 geysers (including Old Faithfull), and went on about 65% of the driving tour.


Some parts are beautiful and I may return one day to do activities, BUT never again in Peak season. Now it’s time to leave Yellowstone for Teton to camp because it,’s not so easy to get a spot after 11am in Yellowstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment