Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 6, 2010, They built it, so I went




On the road again. Yes I am signing the song in my head as I write.


Before I talk about today I must say that last night was awesome! A double feature front row at the drive in with the stars above. Nikki was the savior buying the bug spray, than all was good. I have amazing friends who stayed up late and drove late having to go to work early this morning. LOVED last night. Also, before the movie we stopped at a homemade ice-cream and chocolate place. Yummy goodness.


This morning I headed to Galena IL. I love that the Garmin takes me back roads. Galena is crazy historic and beautiful. I was slightly overwhelmed and culture shocked at the amount of gift shops and stuff. Everything was beautiful and it is such a gem in the middle of the mid-west. Definitely a must see. Not much else around it so maybe fly in to Chicago, have fun there, then do a night or two in Galena.


After Galena I drove over the Mississippi into Dubuque Iowa. I was going to just skip this city then saw a sign for the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium. I could have just skipped it. The aquarium was not at all an aquarium but rather a small, random museum. Maybe the movies are worth it. They seemed cute but I didn’t want to spend the extra money or time. The River museum is what I wanted to see. It wasn’t that bad of a museum. Had hands on displays and a lot of cool stuff. It was just a little too crowded for me.


After Dubuque I drove to the Field of Dreams. Yes the actual one from the movie. It was really beautiful and neat. I loved the back way in through the farms. It reminded me of MO. It’s just amazing how big our country actually is. You could have a catch, bat and walk around. Very neat to see.


I decided to pass on seeing the world’s largest strawberry in Strawberry Iowa, as well as pass on their only National Park (more native American mounds, this time in perfect animal shapes that you can see from above), as well as pass on Story City, as well as pass on Des Moines, and head straight to Winterset, the home of John Wayne and the Bridges of Madison County. If the Iowa State Fair or Hot Air Balloon Festival were going on I would have done more. However, as far as Iowa goes, its 95%farms. Says my contact in Iowa. So tomorrow will be a little more Iowa than off again!


There are some gorgeous old barns and farm homes in the U.S


What’s up with the McMansion’s in Iowa?


Housing developments in the middle of farm land and farm towns look funny.


I love cruise control

1 comment:

  1. Anything for you V!!!!!!! Totally worth being useless at work the next day!!!!! Miss you TONS!

    ReplyDelete