Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday the 22nd of July in the year 2010




EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is the noise I heard to wake me nice and early.

It then dawned on me how I made such good time yesterday. I had forgotten to go to Florissant Fossil Beds in Colorado. Oops.

Well now I was up so I set out on my way to Hutchinson, Kansas. Who knew a “city” that size and close to Wichita would have more to do. I had two attractions in my head and decided on the more unique one. I passed on one of the best Cosmo spheres to head 650ft underground to a salt mine. I’m so glad I did because this place was awesome.

I had no idea, but I was down there for two hours. You first start with a safety video and it is laugh out loud. Well, at least the last part.

You then head down a pitch dark shaft 650ft below.

You are given a small tour and the rest is self guided go at your pace. There are artifacts, videos, TV interviews, scientific stuff, hands on stuff, and more good stuff. It ends with movie memorabilia and I was a little confused. No movies had been shot down there that I knew of. After reading a little I realized I had entered the part of underground storage. Not only is it a salt mine museum but underground storage as well. SO NEAT to see this, and its makes complete sense. Clients from all over the world send their documents, tapes, memorabilia, and important stuff to be kept there. It’s like an underground vault.

Just when you think it’s done, because you’re in the gift shop, there is more. You then hop on a “tram” ride called, The Dark Tour. This takes you back into old mine areas, shows you some cool salt formations, gives you the techniques used in the mines, and lets you “be a miner” and pick out your own salt samples. Although my tour guide was elderly and a slow talker this place was GREAT. Maybe that’s why I spent so much time there. Overall I maybe got to see maybe 2 miles of the 67 they have at this place and it was well worth it.

Still early in the day I headed to Wichita to see it. However, the bypass highway caught more of my interest and I headed to Oklahoma City.

Not wanting to rush my activities in the city I called it a day rather early and look forward to tomorrows adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment