Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July 26th, Happy Birthday Me




After a frustrating comment was made about me I did not start my birthday well. I’m okay now.

Last night in Hot Springs, Arkansas was bustling and people were about. This morning at 7am it had a different feel. Yesterday the idea of a 1920 bath house for $60 was amazingly strange. This morning it was almost disserted and a little too weird. So I moved on.

My first stop was Central High home of the original nine. This tour was AMAZING. I know I say this a lot. The NPS worker was so informative. There was also an older woman who actually graduated from the high school. Before the Little Rock nine but it was still cool to have her on the tour. I learned so much at this site and was so impressed with those nine students for what they did. Not so smart on Little Rock’s part. They are still applying for the actions their governor took over 50 years ago.

Next were the International Offices of the Heifer project. I have always known about this project and supported it but now even more so. This multimillion dollar project is almost all green and famous for this, also the material came from within 500 miles of Little Rock. Except the bamboo floors. What an amazing project and place.

These two places are must-see in Little Rock. Not to mention both these tours were free and feel good things.

I was not so impressed with my next stop. No it had nothing to do with the fact I had to pay, maybe I did things in a bad order. The Clinton Presidential Library just felt too fancy and strange. I think the 172 million dollars could have spent on more philanthropic events. Also, it was hard to reflect on his life and terms when it is still so close. I think the Presidential Libraries should be for reflection, not for show. I recommend everyone visits, especially if you are into politics, but I won’t go back for many years.

I then headed to Memphis and was met by my good friend from school. She treated me to a monstrosity of a BBQ dinner at Pig on Beale Street. We then watched Alice in Wonderland, which I have wanted to watch for awhile. Later headed to Wal Mart for supplies for the night. More movies and cookie dough.

I forgot to mention:

Oklahoma had a gorgeous lake area with golf courses, very large houses, and many housing areas I could not see from the road but had fun names.

Arkansas has THE MOST churches. Different denominations too.

I saw a way cute dog being very protective of a kitten.

Hot Springs has some crazy roads.

It is very interesting to watch, and hear, the different parenting styles that exist.

People in Arkansas do not like to use their turn signals.

No comments:

Post a Comment