Monday, July 12, 2010

July 10




I wish I could be dishonest. Today I missed out on driving a wildlife loop for 6 dollars. No one was there to charge and it goes by the honor system. Also, I could save a lot of money. Sneak into back entrances to a few things, and reuse campground papers. Hello, they are all yellow. But, alas, I cannot. Damn conscious.

Also, I wish, a. I had more money, or b. I wasn’t cheap. I keep seeing things that remind me of certain friends or family members and I want to buy these items for them, but then refrain due to money concerns. My money has to last me a year. I could always stop and work again. Hot dog anyone?

Now to the good stuff.

I drove alongside bison on the road and through a gorgeous, famous byway in South Dakota. Freaking awesome. After an hour and half at 25mph I made it to Mt. Rushmore.

Oops, I forgot to mention I woke up at 5 and went for a hike. I guess Costa Rica had affected me for when the sun is up. So am I.

Back to Rushmore. Didn’t want to spend the 10dollars to park so I walked around historical Keystone. All the small towns in the Black Hills of South Dakota are historic, well kept and so architecturally western.

Anyone know where the best gold mine tour in the U.S is? I passed a few today but didn’t stop. I hope I don’t regret that.

After walking around I treated myself to my first meal in a restaurant in days. It was delicious, but dang, nine dollars for a club sandwich. I love to support local businesses but you can’t beat the dollar menu and Subway.

After walking around town I paid the $10 to go see the presidents in the mountain. Who knows when I’ll be back again. Also, so good to see it and learn about the everything that went into it. Not as cool as crazy horse which was my next stop. When I have money again will donate to them. I love people with strong ideals and beliefs.

I left crazy horse in the rain stopped at a some National Park Lake which was truly beautiful, and drove through Deadwood. After I headed on beautiful 14a through the oldest canyon in the U.S. So some lady says. Ended up in Spearfish. Made a few stops to figure out where to spend the night, and headed to Devils Tower.

After some confusion on where to camp I made it to the campsite at Dusk. Beautiful. Still not so sure about the rules of parks when no attendant is there, but I’ll find out tomorrow when I go explore.

The Black Hills are huge and gorgeous. You could do a week or two up here. So outdoorsy yet quaint and with tons to do.

Nebraska you drive fast and South Dakota slow

All cute men in Nebraska smoke, which makes the not cute at all, and South Dakota cute ones have beards.

South Dakota is motorcycle land even when Sturgis does not have bike week.

South Dakota girl pretty much ALL have short a-line haircuts.

Nebraska and Iowa, but mostly Nebraska, is train land

Why doesn’t every town recycle?

Nebraska is really pushing its tourism. They have historic byways and markers well emphasized and have a Nebraska passport that lists all the byways and three stops for each where you can get a stamps. Later you can then win prizes. Good job Nebraska.

I love towns in southwestern South Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment