Saturday, July 24, 2010

Today, the 24th




Oklahoma is really pretty. I awoke on a bayou surrounded by lush trees and the sun rising. Not a bad way to start a day.

I then drove to a surprising location that I would not have known about if it not for the help of a very nice family. Who knew the “fort” in Fort Gibson actually existed. Well, it does. It is huge, extremely well preserved/restored, and great to walk around. It also only costs 3 dollars to enter but the office had a “be back soon” sign on it and when I was ready to leave no one was back. Even better. I found it strange the stables / mess hall were outside the fort walls. However, no one was there to ask so I get to fill in the gaps myself.

I headed the 17 miles to the Cherokee Heritage Museum but pit stopped at a special Flea Market and right across from that a beautiful antique / craft place. Really nice stuff.

Once at the Cherokee Museum I walked around the museum, got disgusted at Americans for our history and the Trail of Tears, got a really good guided tour of their simulated village, and walked around the reassembled afterwards town. Forced converting or over pressuring missionary work also disgusts me. like that this place is really used and traditions are practiced here. Very different feel than the Pequot place in CT.

I left Oklahoma to head to the very strong accented state of Arkansas. After several experiences in rural states I have learned that there are educated open minded people in all states. I need to remember that. Today I lived like I have money to burn. I ate out twice. Also, with the icky heat I decided to get another hotel room (although now it has cooled down). At least they are cheap and hopefully lucky. It’s named Shamrock and I hope that’s for a reason. I am going digging for diamonds tomorrow.

Women definitely get more done up in the Mid-West.

Why do states have more than one license plate? They should just have one.

I forgot, if there is no pizza hut in town, there is a Sonic and or Subway.

No comments:

Post a Comment