Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wednesday July 21, 2010




Time to leave Colorado, but not without a few stops first. I headed to Colorado Springs with an order in my head of how I wanted to do things. That did not happen.

I first stopped at the Visitor Center of Gardens of the Gods. After coming from Utah I was not very impressed with the structures. I think what was more impressive was the randomness of the shapes and location. I was glad it was a free drive around and it was nice to see families enjoying this outdoor play place.

I then somehow ended up in Manitou Springs where I was able to find the Cliff Dwellings. I had already been to Mesa Verde on a previous trip and was surprised with the difference. Although much smaller it is more hands and a self guided tour. I think both are must do’s while in Colorado. It’s neat to see and experience the difference.

My last stop in the Springs area was to The BROaDMOOR Hotel (They write their name funny like that) the five star luxury hotel. I parked my car, walked around, then left. I was not very into it. I found the grounds to be beautiful but overall the decoration was trying too hard to be European, and the layout to be slightly Disney esc (not too sure how to write that). Very glad I have seen it and no I would not turn down a chance to stay there.

Leaving the Springs area I embarked on my six hour drive to Kansas. Here are my thoughts from that drive:

Kansas wins the flattest state contest

Many small towns have FORD dealerships, most have Pizza Hut, and they all seem to close at 9pm.

People wave as they pass you in cars. So sweet.

Luck was with me.

It appeared luck was with me because all the attractions I wished to see in North Central Kansas were not the kind you had to pay to enter. I arrived to the Geographical Center of the United States as the sun was setting. I took a few pictures, smiled big, and headed out. There was also a very tiny chapel at the location which allowed me to pass on the third thing I was going to do. Before we get to that I drove on some more back roads to get to Cawker City, Kansas. Home of the World’s Largest Ball of Twine (or former ball depending on your source). I was too busy looking for it and drove directly past it. After turning around I got some pictures, saw the very cute, but dead, main street, and followed the painted town on the sidewalks with my eyes. Now it was dark and I still had a small drive ahead of me. That is why I passed on the Tiny Church in Glen Elder. I should have driven by but wanted to get out of the land of no street lights and grain mills.



I reached my destination, bought a fan, and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment