Monday, July 19, 2010

Sunday July 18




Wow is it hard to sleep in a car when it is hot out. Not so smart to head to the mid west for mid July and August. At least right now I am sitting in air conditioning and enjoying family. But before I got to this point I had adventures. Okay fine, not Victoria style adventures, just road trip wanderings.


I woke up extremely early from the heat and headed to Aspen, Colorado. But of course, I could not stay on track. I saw a sign for I-70 byway 60 something, and took it. No it wasn’t on the map, but it was really pretty. Well, somehow I lost the byway and ended up on 303. This was in fact on the map and half of it was a dotted line. Now for you map readers you know this means unpaved. I figured why not. So as I drove along farm country and into a National Forest area I just enjoyed it. Then when the houses and pavement stopped all together I had to rethink. I thought, and it was on the map, so I continued. I think this is the Colorado of our stereotypes. I was the only non pick-up truck, true cowboys were around, and the occasional house, which I presumed to be hunting cabins. Then the road began to go down with hair pin turns. I just laughed to myself and went slow. I eventually came out on a farm road and found the highway. Now that was Colorado.


I then headed to Aspen where I didn’t feel very welcomed. No town feel and very unique residents/tourists. The only plus was the art fair going on in the green. Although I could not afford anything, there were some beautiful and unique pieces. When I am ready for a house, and have money, I know where to go to decorate. I left Aspen after trying to go to the ------ but not wanting to deal with the shuttle process. There were some beautiful houses and amazing private planes at the airport. If I were with my mother I would have taken the Rich and Famous Tour. But I was not, so I headed to Veil.


Veil had the ski town, united atmosphere I was hoping for in a Colorado ski town. An open visitor center, AMAZING Sunday farmers market, a cool antique fair, and good vibe people. I am a fan of Veil!


I then left on the hour and a half drive to my cousins house. BUT, for the first time in a month and a half I hit traffic. At least I-70 through Colorado is gorgeous. Also, I feel bad for truckers. Who knew Colrado was so populated?


I ended the day with family, yummy food, and a shower. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment