Thursday, July 8, 2010

July 8th, 2010. Western Nebraska is very nice.




I have the desire to start every day off with, “what a day.” So, I must refrain from that.


I really, really, like Western Nebraska. It’s beautiful and nothing like the rest of the state which is flatter than Iowa.


I left where I was last night (I am that tired I can’t remember) and headed to another town in Nebraska. Than another. Okay, let me think.


I woke up and walked around the E.L Ray Park several times. I would have gone fishing but was worried about not having a license.


I then went to the Stuhr Musuem of the Prairie and it was awesome. I felt bad for the people working. It was dead there and although It was a very cool day they were still in costume. I like that they were in character but weren’t annoying about it. They were themselves, in costume, and knowledgeable. My oopsie was that I forgot to ask what the difference between prairie and frontier are. I should check on that.


I than drove 20 minutes away to Hastings, Iowa. The birthplace of Kool Aide. Well… birthplace does not mean home of. Therfore, no factory to tour. Instaed I went to the only museum that thank goodness had an entire floor of Kool Aide memorbalia. That was its only redeeming quality. This museum was so random, strange, old school, and just plain sad. There were a few good things but the floors and exhibits had NO connection. For example, floor of taxidermy from all over the world that I left because the wolf made me sad, not the baby black bear. An Imax theater, ocean and rock exhibit, and space center. Not worth the money.


Luckily my next museum made up for the previous one. It is the Transportation Arc over Interstate 80. FREAKIN AWESOME! The visuals, interaction, and automated tour were so cool. I would do this again.


I broke up the 5 hour drive up north with a stop at a Pony Express Site. Such a gem in what seems like a nice small town.


Next was a back road that was BEAUTIFUL! That’s when I decided I loved Northern Nebraska. Along U.S 26 there are tons of historic stops right along the highway that are well marked. It is also beautiful.


I made my way to Carhenge, very happy I have now seen that, took a long, too long, back way to town and here I am. On the way I saw the best rest area ever.



You know, I write things in my journal in the car I want to mention on the blog, but somehow always seem to leave the book in the car. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment