Monday, July 19, 2010

July 15, Waffles in bed




After a bubble bath, good night sleep, and sleeping in, I went downstairs to make a waffle and get some juice. I said I wanted luxury. I then took my time getting ready, watched a little TV and headed to the Potato Museum. Yes folks, Blackfoot is the Potato Capital of the world, and yes I knew that before going there. I was greeted by a large potato outside and a free box of hash browns inside a cute potato sack inside. Even better is that admission was only 2.50. Ohh Idaho.


I then left Blackfoot on a back way to get to Crater of The Moon National Park. Route 26 had some interesting surprises. I stopped at Atomic City (which was eerie and not a soul in sight) that claims to be the first Atomic City in the world. I then stopped at EBR-1 the actual first Atomic Power Plant in the world. Here they offer free tours and told me that Atomic City has no real claim to say that. Maybe they are claiming just the name and no actual relation to atomic power. Who knows. The randomness was strange and fun but it was time to go the park.


Before arriving at the park I stopped to take a picture of a submarine in the middle Idaho. Once at the park I began to play. I first decided to camp even though I had time to drive more. At least it gave me time to type this up and relax a little. Once set up I took the seven mile loop around to the sites, walked a little then PLAYED in caves. I was the only one in the ice cave and man was it dark. I was blown away the NPS just lets you play like that. Here is your trail map, have fun. Afterwards I saw the other caves open to the public and learned why. They are harmless. Just the ice one is an actual adventure. If I wasn’t alone I would have ventured longer.


Ranger talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment